Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Retired tweezer for rent

In the whole chemo loss-of-hair promise, I was most curious to see if the stubborn chin whisker would be the last soldier standing. Like the cockroach is purported to be the only survivor of a nuclear holocaust, would the chin hair stand up to chemo devastation.

There are aspects of the body's natural capabilities that are astounding -- and for evidence of that one need look no further than its ability to prepare a body to house and nurture a baby for nine months. But the body also can be whimsical and finds itself funny when it really, truly is simply annoying. Ask a middle-aged man how amusing it is when his hair decides to leave his head and relocate to his back.

Or the pre- or post-menopausal woman who may leave home without her American Express, but never without her trusty tweezer. I know several women who have a collection of tweezers: one at home in the bathroom; one in the desk at work; one in every purse and, most importantly, one in the car for those really sunny days when the sunroof is open and a ray of natural light reveals an untended chin hair so long and now obvious that you'd have to turn sidewise to get through a door frame. This is usually immediately followed by a punch to the arm of appropriate husband, along with the exclamation, "Good God, why didn't you tell me?!"

He, of course, responds with the usual rejoinder: "What?!"

I can report that my legs and underarms are smooth as a baby's butt. One good pedicure -- in itself not a good idea because of potential infection -- and I'm ready for the beach.

Nose hairs? Yes, Chris was right. Gone. And my new nickname could very well be "Sniff". Annoying.

But, I am happy to report that I can temporarily retire my tweezers. Trust me, I've given it close inspection, in both natural and artificial light, out of disbelief. Unlike the cockroach, the chin hair is no match for chemo.

Now there's a celebration. As it turns out, chemo did not claim my eyebrows. They fell under the may-or-may-not category of potential hair loss. And I realize I'm fortunate to claim a spot in the may-not column. I can use all the expression I can get at this hairless point in my life.

When you think about it, and I know this sounds strange, but the eyebrow more resembles a cockroach than the chin hair does.

And if you really want to retire your tweezers, the only suggestion I can offer up is to....I can't even go there. You just have to look at it this way: Plucking = healthy. And my tweezers aren't really retired, they're just enjoying a well-earned rest, temporarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment