Friday, March 5, 2010

During this performance, no wigs will be allowed to be removed!

The week following my new hair's arrival, I attended a dinner/play with three friends from my old place of employment. That was the main reason I would have been disappointed if the wig hadn't arrived in time. At a live performance, who wants to sit behind someone wearing a hat! "Hey, I came to see a play, not a Fedora!"

I had left work at 2:30 to have at least two-and-a-half hours at home before I was to meet them for dinner. I needed that time to let wiggy perch on its stand while my head cooled off. Plus a little nap wouldn't hurt either. So, I arrived refreshed, with a cool head, ready for the entertainment I had been looking forward to for weeks. And it didn't disappoint. My Fair Lady never does, but this was truly a talented cast and the stage set-up was amazingly clever and well done.

About halfway through the first act, however, I could feel trickles of perspiration around my ears. Warm? Oh my yes. When intermission came, I fanned myself rapidly with the Showbill. Michaelle, seated to my left, automated her Showbill and fanned me as well.

When the lights went down for the second act, I contemplated whipping off the wig, but it wasn't nearly dark enough and my lightbulb head might have been distracting to the cast members. "What is that thing?"

I made it through and thoroughly enjoyed the evening and the company, but I kept wondering if I'm this warm in the winter months, what is it going to be like in the hot summer months with that wig on my head? I'm thinking I need to find a little motorized, hand-held fan. Or a lightweight scarf that doesn't make me look like Carol Burnett's scrubwoman character.

Or move to Nome, Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment