Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What kind of warranty does this miracle carry?

Some of you may recall that there are two things that are working in tandem to keep me from tripping lightly along on this cancer journey. My left knee and my right knee. And, yes, while I certainly agree with you that it is grossly unfair to be diagnosed with bc in the same month that left knee (hereafter known as LK) goes kablooey -- followed by right knee, aka RK, throwing in the towel a month later -- I was elated to discover that a shot of cortisone to each knee tricked them into submission.

The next morning, after the shots were administered, I awoke and stepped out of bed without my knees complaining. I walked like a human being again. No wincing in pain. It's a miracle, I told the cats. They looked skeptical, or disinterested. With cats, it's hard to tell the difference.

And it was a miracle. I was able to fly, knees bent for the duration of two back-to-back flights, to Florida on vacation, and then drive a car back the 1400 miles it takes to leave Ft. Myers, FL, and arrive in Chicago two days later. No pain, lots of gain.

The damage is still there, of course. The knees have just been numbed to it. Tricked. Bamboozled.

As it turns out, the right knee is much smarter than the left knee. While LK pumps right along thinking, foolishly, that it has been cured, the right knee wised up at the 2.5-week post-cortisone mark. Not only is RK smarter than its twin, it seems to have a short fuse. Once it realized it had been tricked, it came screaming back to consciousness with searing pain. Apparently, it can't take a joke.

Thus, Advil has become my dearest friend (sorry, Linn; you're terrific, but you're not a pain reliever). By popping a couple in the morning, mid-day and evening, I can walk, sit and sleep.

Once radiation is over, I know there will be another MRI in my future to determine the perpetrator. Fluid? Torn meniscus? Arthritis? Hamster? Identify the criminal, then determine the punishment. Besides, the MRI techs will be happy to see me again. I'm pretty confident I'm the one who is keeping them employed.

I wish RK had enjoyed the 60 to 90 days of relief other cortisone shot recipients have told me they experienced, but it held up for my trip, and I'm incredibly grateful for that.

Miracles don't come with a warranty. But, they should.

No comments:

Post a Comment