Sunday, April 25, 2010

The world's smallest tattoo

My first session in the radiology department involved me participating in the "line-up". I laid down on the mobile table so that the techs could line me up with the laser beams from the left, the right and up above. My head and shoulders were positioned on a VacLok pillow-like cushion that is filled with tiny polystyrene beads and my hands gripped a T-bar that was suspended just behind my head. Once the techs were confident that I was positioned correctly, a vacuum was drawn through the cushion's valve that created a permanently indented cradle customized to fit me. It would be used for every radiation session.

To mark where the laser beams should line up, they "tattooed" me on three sides with a little drop of ink and a needle. So, it now looks like I have tiny blue freckles. An alcohol wipe of each spot afterwards delivered a slight sting, but that was it. No real discomfort. My doctor of radiology was present too, making his markings and approving the process. Preliminary x-rays were taken and they were done with me in about 15 minutes. They told me my actual radiation session, to begin in two days, would barely last five minutes.

I was to be their last patient of the day. Like me, they start early in the morning. By leaving work at 2:30, I could comfortably get there by 3:10 and be ready for my 3:15 appointment. Once they were through with me, they were through with work.

This was the beginning of a M-F seven-week routine. Almost like having a second job.

No comments:

Post a Comment