Friday, January 8, 2010

The confirmation

It was just a 24-hour wait for the biopsy results. So, from discovery to confirmation was just shy of a week. Less than that, actually, because the doctor who gave me the ultrasound results told me flat out it was cancer. But, perhaps she was wrong. Perhaps it just appeared evil and was actually not one of those poisonous lizard-looking things. After all, there was a biopsy to get true confirmation, not an "I'm pretty sure confirmation". If there was to be anaesthesia and scalpels involved, I was rooting for true confirmation.

The appointment was for 4:00. There was a slight wait. True confirmation came at 5:00 as we met with the biopsy doctor and a nurse. After a few casual greetings in a private room, we sat at a round table and he said it was indeed an inductal carcinoma of the right breast. From the ultrasound, it did not look like there was any involvement under the arm in the lymph node area. Good news. And the size of the tumor made it a grade 2. Next step was to see a surgeon. Jeff asked a few questions. I asked a few questions. I haven't a clue now what we said. He held my hand. I was fine. The doctor wished us well and left.

And then the nurse took out a small pillow from the cabinet and handed it to me. It's about the size of a clutch purse and its cotton fabric has a design that incorporates the pink breast cancer ribbon. "There's a group of women who make and donate these to our patients. You place it between you and the seatbelt after your surgery," she said.

That's when I teared up.

No comments:

Post a Comment