Friday, January 22, 2010

Sorry. You'll have to take a number. The list is full.

So, if I had compiled a checklist from discovery of the lump over Halloween weekend to the first of week of December, it would have looked something like this:
1. Get lump checked out
2. Lump checked. OB/GYN hates lump
3. Get mammogram
4. Get ultrasound
5. Get biopsy
6. Get another mammogram (going for a new record in flattening)
7. Get biopsy results: Bad, bad lump
8. Get breakfast (well, I'm sure I ate somewhere, sometime in this process)
9. Get office appointment with surgeon
10. Get surgery appointment with surgeon
11. Get EKG for surgery
12. Get blood work for surgery
13. Get MRI
14. Get radioactive dye for surgery
15. Get gassed for surgery
16. Get surgery
17. Get well
18. Get back to work
19. Get post-surgery inspection
20. Get post-surgery infection
21. Get antibiotics
22. Get infection follow-up appointments with surgeon
23. Get name of oncologist
24. Get appointment with oncologist

Of course, also on my mental list was get Christmas shopping done; get Christmas baking started; get Christmas cards written; get Christmas tree up and decorated; get Christmas presents wrapped. But those would have to slide into a lower berth on the list, because, let's face it, the list was filling up fast.

At last, I was able to cross off the appointment with the oncologist. My OB/GYN not only recommended her but LOVED her. My surgeon agreed that she was an excellent choice. I was eager to meet her. I figured she'd be some kindly, gray-haired motherly type.

I figured wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment